Sunday, August 24, 2014

How much can my love withstand?

The plan was to write something joyful about my twelve-year-old daughter´s first participation in a tournament abroad. I also wanted to share a little of the good feeling coming from my own first post-WorldCup/EuropaLeague-summer match as a coach for my son´s team.
However, my mood was darkened early this morning by the news that Cameroonian striker Albert Ebossé had been killed in Algeria. Killed just after a match by someone calling himself (probably not a woman, I reckon) a football supporter. I can´t write with joy.
My daughter has returned home. My son scored twice.
I´m still in a dark mood.
How much can my love for football withstand? How much violence will it take before I tell my kids to quit playing the game they love?
There are, of course, no straight answers. Today, I just hope Algerian supporters from all teams can refrain themselves from vengeful rage, stop the madness of stone-throwing, and instead stand up for less violence in and around the football arenas.

No comments:

Post a Comment